For those of you that are unfamiliar, and SHAME ON YOU if you are, The Lonely Island is a three piece comedy group from Berkeley, California. Two members of the group, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone, are currently writers for Saturday Night Live. And they have directed the feature films Hot Rod and MacGruber respectively. The third member is the most well known, Andy Samberg, a featured actor on Saturday Night Live, and also a movie star in his own right. They have been making short skits and songs for over a decade now. But enough with the history lesson, I could seriously go on and on. This is a track-by-track review of their latest album, Turtleneck & Chain.
1. We’re Back – the three Dudes start off strong with a silly rap about their dicks not working. Its completely ridiculous and just proof that they are not taking themselves seriously with their new found SNL Digital Short fame. They started this fake rap shit. Grammy Nominated!
2. Mama – the first of two songs made for dear old Mom. This one is more of a comedy skit where the Mom keeps barging in on the guys while they’re trying to record a song for her. The lyrics may be about loving her but you wouldn’t know otherwise since they curse her out every time she interrupts.
3. I Just Had Sex – one of the big break out hits from SNL. Akon loans his auto tuned voice as the R&B tune has Jorma and Andy bragging about their sexual conquests, most of which are not much to brag about. A catchy tune that could even be played on radio. This one definitely boosted their popularity a bit more after debuting on SNL in December of last year. Over 90 million hits on Youtube.
4. Jack Sparrow – this song was released right before the album hit stores and they couldn’t have picked a better time. Michael Bolton lends his sexy voice as the cinema obsessed chorus man. The Dudes try to make a hardcore rap about picking up chicks in the club and all Bolton wants to do is sing about Jack Sparrow and other films. I loved it the moment I heard it and its constantly stuck in my head.
5. Attracted To Us – Beck appears on this one, which is kind of the low point of the album. Just a repetitive song about different girls being attracted to the shy guys. I would have much rather had another Just Two Guyz/We Like Sports type song over this one. But I’m just nitpicking.
6. Rocky – a story song which The Lonely Island are experts at. There’s no chorus, just verses explaining the day a simple man challenged Rocky Balboa to a fight. I’m a big fan of their story songs like Incredibad from their last album and The Heist from their unreleased album before they were famous. They always go to absurd lengths by the end.
7. My Mic (Interlude) – just a silly mic check that makes me laugh.
8. Turtleneck & Chain – a catchy rap song making fun of guys that wear turtlenecks with thin chains and drink light beer. This is another I always find myself singing. Snoop Dogg appears but its like he’s not in on the joke because his rap seems a little too serious. I could have did without him all together.
9. Shy Ronnie 2: Ronnie & Clyde – Shy Ronnie first debuted on SNL in a classroom setting where Rihanna plays a teacher who is explaining things to the class. Andy is Shy Ronnie who doesn’t talk loud enough for anyone to hear. Shy Ronnie 2 is the two of them at it again, this time robbing a bank. Shy Ronnie only starts rapping loud when Rihanna leaves. One of the sleeper hits of the album and it always makes me laugh when Andy goes HA HA!
10. Trouble on Dookie Island – this is another one that cracks me up. It’s a hardcore robbery rap that turns its focus on the two robbers shitting themselves as they run away. Its just completely ridiculous and hilarious. Using the word Dookie makes it even funnier. Maybe I’m childish for thinking that but them rapping about Dookie makes me smile.
11. Falcor vs. Atreyu (Classy Skit #1) – did you ever see The Neverending Story? Did you ever imagine what it would sound like if Falcor banged Atreyu? Look no further.
12. Motherlover – here’s the next song about Mom. This one didn’t exactly take off on SNL like Dick In A Box did but Andy teamed up with Justin Timberlake to bring those same characters back. This time they forgot to get their moms a Mother’s Day present so they decide sleeping with each other’s mothers would be the perfect gift. Another catchy one that isn’t really hilarious but still enjoyable.
13. The Creep – Great video starring rapper Nicki Minaj and director John Waters. Its just about guys being complete nerdy creeps, much like John Waters in real life. If there’s one thing the Dudes are good at, its writing catchy lyrics. If they weren’t in the comedy game I’m sure they could write real songs for artists. This is another one that is always in my head. I might have to try The Creep one day. No Embed Link.
14. Watch Me Do Me (Classy Skit #2) – just a disgusting short skit about a man jerking off. That is all.
15. Threw It On The Ground – some hilarious lyrics (MY DAD’S NOT A PHONE!) and a great video to go along with it. Andy is just paranoid about everything and slamming things on the ground. He won’t be part of your system, MAAAAAAAAAN!
16. Japan – the three Dudes travel to Japan and sing about doing every single expensive thing they can think of in hopes of getting a music video made where the record company has to spend a lot of money. Kind of a joke towards their management but also a pretty funny song.
17. After Party – this is another sleeper hit on the album. After a few listens, I realized how great it was. Its done in the style of Like A Boss where you see a downward spiral of someone that can’t handle the night life. R&B star Santigold provides the chorus and is a great example of a guest star that is actually IN on the joke. Take some notes Snoop.
18. No Homo – this is another song that resembles Like A Boss. The lyrics are done in a similar manner where No Homo is said in between each semi-gay comment. Another funny one that you really have to listen to in order to catch all the comedy.
19. No Homo (Outro) – just a continuation of the song to end the album.
There you have it. One of the best comedy albums to come out since… their last comedy album. The Lonely Island are spreading like wildfire. I saw Twitter updates from several celebrities saying how hilarious the new album is and I would definitely have to agree. The low points on the album aren’t even that low. And the high points greatly outweigh them anyway. I’ve listened to the whole thing about 5 times from beginning to end already and its only been out for a week. That doesn’t include watching the videos online. I hope they continue their rise, make some more silly movies, continue with SNL Digital Shorts and of course put out a new album every now and then. The Dudes are A-OK in my book.